Thursday, August 18, 2005

A week of activities...

So there’s this new plug in for Microsoft Word that allows me to post my blogger entries right from it without having to type them in online.  Guess what?  That means no more spelling errors.  Cool.  Now I’m back in Chicago (as of Saturday/Sunday actually) and have been meeting people almost nonstop.  

Monday … Irene and Andreea, first for breakfast at a place in Lincoln Park called “Toast.”  Then we went to my house, played too many games of Rummikub and later went off our separate ways.  Or they did, considering I lived there after all.

Tuesday … Anna and I planned on going to a museum around 2ish, but then since I got a quick call saying it was time to see Megan and Elaine, I went off to Andersonville hoping for some nice cinnamon rolls at Ann Sathers.  Only, they aren’t open on Tuesday (those pigs!).  So we went to some other Swedish place across the street that was sufficient enough.  Then I drove to Anna’s house, seeing as how I was already nearby, planned to go off the museum only to get a call from some other high school friends who we met up with for lunch.  Irene (again), Cody, Julie, Garret, and us all had lunch, talked a bit, and left.  Then Anna and I went to the museum – Museum of Contemporary Art (downtown), walked around until their free hours opened, and saw some neat stuff.  The exhibit on display there was some man who worked with modern, industrial materials – aka fluorescent lighting.  It was neat, the structures he made, the colors chosen, and the way art should be.  The tour guide said something about how he didn’t want people to stop and stare at his art, that it really didn’t have that much meaning, and that’s how I think it should be too.  So the exhibit was great really.  And you can’t beat anything free downtown.  And a tasty dinner with noodles.  Yum.

Wednesday:  The beach with Irene and Andreea and Iris too.  Made a sand alligator, and the other pictures need some work before being put up.  Alligator will follow at the end of the post perhaps.  Was sunny and warm and nice, and we walked way too much around, but all in all it was fun.

Thursday:  (today) Finished The Mermaid Chair, read here to check out what I thought.  Anna and I met up, walked quickly through the rain to the CTA bus together, went inside the Adler Planetarium, which is so way cooler than I remember.  The exhibits were nice, as were two of the three movie-like things we passed through the exhibit.  Well done I’d say, and kept us interested for perhaps too long.  Lots of hands on types of things, good for the kiddies, some of which was too childish for the likes of us.  Then we went outside only to find it hot, sunny, and humid.  Took a walk until we found where the free trolley existed, took it to the Art Institute (we ate across the street).  Walked the wrong way, then the right way to Millennium Park, saw all the neat stuff there, listened to some orchestra and choir practicing, walked through the garden areas, walked over the metallic bridge that’s snaked shaped, and back to the train to go home.  What a day…

All this seeing of people makes me think back.  Someone on one of these days said they hated to think back, glad that it was all over, when the other person commented that it was nice to reminisce.  I don’t think I stand on either side, seeing as how I blocked out a good chunk of information, just because I thought it unnecessary, unlikable, or something else.  But the activities kept me busy, active (walking is still active, yes), and having fun.  And it’s nice to not have to think about a whole lot of crap including work that probably won’t make a difference in the long run anyway.  I just have to say that fun really is great.  And it’s been a long time since I’ve done so much blabbing on that maybe I’m turning into one of those people who loves the sound of their own voice.  Oh God, I hope not.  I hate those people, gah.  Let’s leave it here, because I’ve bored myself in writing this all out already, and it is now night time and thus sleep time already.  Signing off…  

No comments: