Thursday, October 12, 2006

Awards Around the World

So, the past week has been full of announcements of winners. The winner of the Booker Prize was Kiran Desai. The winner of the Nobel Literature Prize was Orhan Pamuk. People who've written about issues that involved around their cultural lives -- in the case of the first, her heritage, the latter author going against the Turkish government and writing about Armenian/Turkish relations (and conflict). [And before I go on, I'd like to say that these books are so so on my list.]

People have been making a difference everywhere. Then I go and read about the possibilities up for the Nobel Peace prize, people who really have made a difference in the world. A Negotiator, representatives, a presidents, musicans, a leader of a church, and general human rights campaigners. What a bunch. It makes me think that I should do something that can really make a difference. Yes, there are those scientists who make a difference, and engineers are behind everything and everyone in essence, but is it really a attainable goal. I just don't know.

Read the BBC Article about the Nobel Peace Prize Candidates.

No comments: