Friday, July 14, 2006

Tipping Point & The World is Flat

A post with two books in one. I do think I'm reviewing too much media on my blog, and not enough other things in life, but oh well. The Tipping Point is another book by Gladwell, the same author of Blink. The book discusses what makes other things happen, including the role of people: Connectors, Mavens, etc. who are the people that make things happen in the world. The examples are numerous, and the book proved to be very interesting discussing all those things. I highly recommend it. It also makes me think that I should be one of those people -- someone who knows everything, or helpful information, or someone who can connect people by knowing a bunch of people and being naturally friendly. Ah, who knows anyway.

The World is Flat discusses that very theory -- that globalization is inevitable and that we cannot stop it, but it's helpful in its own way. Margie (in the beginning of the book) thought that the author was too american in his views and thus biased, but I thought overall he was very balanced and I hope truthful. It was fairly enlightening, cause the news here in America really does only present the one side -- ex. outsourcing. Outsourcing takes place on both sides, and it isn't entirely on the fact that labor is cheaper everywhere else, but lies on the fact that intelligence is increasing everywhere for a lot of people. Such engineers and scientists are now more numerous outside America, and here, there are becoming less and less (especially women). It's all very interesting, and I would have loved to read it in Prof Sullivan's class... aw.

No comments: