Tuesday, August 01, 2006

A tisket, A tasket

Saturday was spent at the O.C. County Fair -- and since I'd never been to one, it really was quite fun. Martin, Jason, and I got to see all the prize winning animals -- goats, pigs, cows, bunnies... and the winning fruits and vegetables. This was much different from the Taste of Chicago. There was a chair-lift that went over the whole fair, and which we rode, which allowed us to see everything that we hadn't already walked through. I was quite surprised at the size, and the lack of crowds (but I guess that's coming from a city girl), but they had plenty of stands and rides. Right before leaving the sun came out (which resulted in a nice little sunburn) and we went on a ride where it spins so fast you get stuck to the wall. How come after that ride, you always end up laughing, and when you leave, it appears that your eyes have teared up as well. Is it really that funny? Perhaps.

Yu-Loung finally left HMC for China, and the traffic today was abominable. Walking through Atwood (where Yu-Loung is going to live) reminds me of Freshman year and SI. It makes me all think how much I really do like this school after all. We played a final game of settlers last night in an empty room in the suite.

It's all very strange, life that is, when it comes full circle. I am halfway through my college life, and it all feels very odd. I was looking at a list of the birthdays of the incoming students for SI, and it makes me feel old. Yes, yes, I know, I'm not old, but 20 years is a long time, and it makes me think of the future. What will I do? What kind of person will I be? What engineering type? Engineering or not engineering? Life is really full of choices, not all attainable, but all there and visible if nothing else.

I'm also getting excited to go home to Chicago... it'll be a nice change, since I haven't been there for 8 months. That's a long time. And I'll visit my grandparents and perhaps New York too. Visiting the east coast just seems so much easier, and I'm not quite sure why.

No comments: