Sunday, May 29, 2005

Woodstock 1

This was amazing. I've been renewed into a The Who fan as well as starting to think about this whole thing. What was so different about that generation from ours? They had a war, we had a war? In the end most of them protested, whereas we did not. (We being the "we" meaning our generation). They had music like nothing else, and we have music too. It's interesting that it seems to me that their music united them all, for it "communicated" as the organizer of Woodstock would say. Does our music move a nation to travel all in the same direction? All against the grain? I wouldn't say so. I wonder if it really was all united back then, I mean, I know they were considered "freaks," but it just seems that since music has branched out, the people have branched out too. What really makes our generation I wonder? The only thing that really comes to mind is something like the space station. Sorry if it sounds geeky, but it's an interesting concept. I'd say that most of the nation, as well as some other international countries, have something vested in space. Look at the new Star Wars movie (which I haven't yet seen...), but really...

I just don't know. What makes them so different. Or are they really? All I remember is Woodstock 99, something about too much fire, violence, lack of water, and just too many people. How could they have met in the 60s for something like peace over three days, and in the rain no less. And musicians that could really ROCK.

At the end, I was told that there was more to this movie, that there were more parts, and that some performers were missing. Which isn't obvious considering three were in Woodstock 1. I think I'll save the rest for school, to enjoy not only by myself but with others who have a similar passion for music. Music of that time, wonderful, moving, emotional music. And to educate some others on what music is supposed to be.

Sorry about all the blabbering, but it's something that interests me. What makes us so different really? Where can we find the crack that split us all up? Or are we really united in some way or another? I just can't tell. What do you think?

No comments: